[Klug-general] password testing/cracking

james morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 12:36:27 UTC 2013

read an article about password cracking this morning:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/how-i-became-a-password-cracker/3/

and being curious decided to try my own passwords. it only seemed to
crack the first word of two (nor the two digit number at end) in my
weakest password.

then i was curious about long passwords made entirely of words such as:

longpassworddifficulttocrack

my tests don't crack that, nor even crackmenow or hardtocrack.

i'm using the rockyou.txt word list, and only encoding the passwords
as MD5 so expected better results than this.

attached is a bash script to automate password testing to some degree

any tips appreciated!
cheers,
james