[Klug-general] mount by label

james morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:18:46 UTC 2013

Just discovered the wonders of using LABEL=MyPartition in /etc/fstab.

After spending the last few years adjusting to using UUIDs for
partitions in /etc/fstab, it's a gale of fresh air. Who knows where
the trend for UUIDs in /etc/fstab came from? What purpose does it
serve other than making /etc/fstab almost unreadable?

I've spent this afternoon shuffling and copying partitions around.
Grub2 boots into rescue mode which is fairly straight forward to get
out of (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting#grub_rescue.3E-1
).

Then just a minor modification of the kernel root parameter and I'm
back in, and thanks to using mount-by-label, all the partitions are
mounted properly - I don't have to mess about mounting partitions and
looking inside them just to find out where they should be mounted.

james.