[Klug-general] problems setting up a HP deskjet 1050

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Thu May 23 13:57:55 UTC 2013

I recently bought myself one of these and attempted to set it up, but
'lsusb' didn’t see it, and neither did CUPS. So, I thought the usb
cable was faulty and ordered a new one. Tried it and no result. So, 2
usb cables, plugged into various ports, CUPS enabled and it added
there but still no printing. Its as if it doesn't exist! Therefore to
be returned to Amazon for credit or refund.

I email HP too, and even quoted that I'd downloaded and installed a more
up-to-date 'HPlip' than the Debian 7 repos, but HP say that this model
is not supposed by them with Linux! Even though
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet_aio/deskjet_1050_j410_series.html
says that it is supported with Debian 7.

I always thought that HP were the 'good guys' but now I'm not so sure.
I certainly will think twice before buying another of their printers.
This is a salutary tale not to believe everything that the
suppler/manufacturer says! It might not be a lie but just the truth
being stretched a bit.

Take care
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/index.html
Debian 7.0, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.0.3.3,