[Klug-general] shared hosting expectations

james morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Fri May 24 11:15:01 UTC 2013

I've been helping transfer hosting of a domain to an existing shared
hosting a/c on a different host provider. The a/c has around 8
domains, none of which are particularly large.

I keep seeing slow response times from the server for the domain I've
been working on. I've been using `time wget` to test the
responsiveness and frequently am waiting over 30 seconds, and into
minutes. The problem seems to come and go, but at times it has been
consistently unresponsive.

Support initially claimed they restarted the Apache service and things
their end looked responsive. After a few days of me finding otherwise
I found the time to tell them... and then decided to change the PHP
version the site was running (out of desperation) and several hours
later support emailed... Wondering why the Apache service had
restarted and suggested the restart could have been the cause of the
slowdown!

This seems ...ahem.. very poor to me.

Not really sure what to do.

James.