[Klug-general] How to monitor up/down times?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Wed Nov 13 14:08:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:17:22 +0000
Laurence Southon <laurence at southon.uk.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/13 18:33, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > How can I monitor the uptime and the downtime of the connection
> > please
>
> Smokeping. There is a Debian package available.
>
> Set a few targets outside, including your ISP's gateway and you will
> have graphs showing the state of your connection.

Thanks Laurence, but this seems to be slightly over-kill for just one
standalone computer, and one standalone router, no network at all
really. If monitoring the syslog of the router doesn't give me the
information that I require, then I might well try smokeping out.

Thanks
Sharon.
my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944