[Klug-general] hosting your own wordpress (was: Relocating my blog?)

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Mon Oct 14 14:02:35 UTC 2013

Thanks Alan for a very informative reply, I'll chip in-inline.

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:23:02 +0100
Alan <alan at hipnosi.org> wrote:

> There's no dark arts involved in hosting your own, it's certainly
> nothing a linux user should be paying for!
>
> The only cost of hosting yourself is you have to leave the machine on
> 24/7 so choose hardware you can afford - at last calculation 200Watts
> running 24/7 comes to nearly 80 quid per year in lecci bills.

This machine already stays on 24/7, and has done for the last several
years, so that would be no change or hardship.

> Instead you could use an ultra low power device like a
> Rikomagic.co.uk MK802 - linux howto's abound (I am sure there are
> people on the list who have played with them). You don't need a
> monitor on the server except for the initial install perhaps, but
> thereafter it can run entirely headless, use ssh to talk to it.
>
> Cheapest option is use your workday machine, advice is to use a VM
> like VirtualBox (yuk) or KVM (stable). For QEMU/KVM install
> virt-manager as an easy gui. Networking setup on Virtualbox is easier
> than kvm.

I've already got several machines set-up with VirtualBox so that would
pose no problems, I'd just have to remember to have it running all the
time in its own workspace.

> Once you have a plan with hardware, hosting WP yourself is *very
> straighforward*, this is all you need to do:
>
> Do a standard Deb/Fedora install to set up a basic webserver with
> nginx (or apache), mysql and php.  Look for LEMP or LAMP howto's.

I was actually looking at one over the weekend, which was giving very
precise instructions, which is what I like and need. I'd probably try
using 'cpanel' to help me administer it, I hear its quite good?

> Alternatively you could use one of the pre-rolled distros with a
> control panel that do IMAP, SMTP. SSL, proxy, VPN and everything
> (ClearOS is pretty quick to set up and dead stable, Centos6-based),
> they all have a small learning curve though so it's often more useful
> to do it yerself as above.

Thanks but I'll stick to Debian, as I know it best of all.

> Now your ready for the easy wordpress install. Once that's running
> migrate your existing WP site:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Thanks for the link, sounds very interesting.

> Using TalkTalk you'll probably have a dynamic IP address. To use a
> dynamic IP for server hosting is quite possible:

I do, but I have the same IP for several weeks, maybe even a month or
so. I do monitor it daily as well.

> 1) Register a free yourdomain.dyndns.org and get any device on your
> network to keep it updated with changes, usually the router has a
> facility for this, but Linux also has loads like dd-client or
> ipcheck.

> 2) In your domain DNS Control Panel use a CNAME record to
> alias yourdomain.org.uk to yourdomain.dyndns.org, so your site will
> still 99% of the time be accessible from sharons.org.uk.

> 3) Spend
> some phone time with talktalk asking them to increase you upload
> speed, by default they throttle it in my experience.

I fear that this will be the sticking point with them. I'm currently
getting 'Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):	983 & Line Rate -
Downstream (Kbps):	10848' from them. This will obviously need to
change.

> Set your router up to forward TCP 80 to your server. Also ssh (22) so
> you have a remote shell. Be sure to allow incoming firewall on server
> for the ports you want.

More googling for it :)

> That's it really. :)

Plenty to be going on with then :) Thanks for it though.

Sharon.

> Of course it will all take you some time if you havent done it
> before, but having root on your own webserver is empowering. YOU edit
> your own php.ini and YOU decide how big your want your PHP uploads
> and memory allocation etc. If your skilled (or learning) bash,
> python, java, php etc you can pretty much do anything with your
> server. (Check out imagemagick via php shell it's too much fun)
>
> Perhaps there are others on the list with enough existing knowledge
> try it for themselves, and others to support them as they go?
>

> On 14/10/13 12:48, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:08:05 +0100
> > Dan Attwood <danattwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> if you just have a basic wordpress setup take a look at
> >> wordpress.com
> > I have two domains registered to me which I want to keep, use and
> > transfer, but I'm not sure of how to do it. They are both 'org.uk'
> > which makes it a bit simpler. Not sure of what information is
> > required of me before I tell 1and1 that I'm moving my sites. So any
> > help, advice, sites, tutorials, etc would be very gratefully
> > received.
> >
> > I am considering self-hosting, but although i have the computer
> > spare to do it with, I don't have a spare monitor to use it from.
> > Is it possible to host it on this machine I'm on now?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharon.

my git repo = https://github.com/boudiccas/dots
Debian 7.2, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 561944