[Klug-general] xorg woes

jwmartnet . jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 23:23:39 UTC 2014

On 16 December 2014 at 21:14, Paul Lenton <lentonp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/12/14 19:37, jwmartnet . wrote:
>>
>> Is there an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory?
>

> There's not. I did try to make one but that didn't help anything, although
> it did remain persistent across reboots.
>
>> Perhaps try putting your configuration files in there? Although that
>> is now IIUC the preferred method for configuration, deletion of the
>> config seems a little draconian... Is an Nvidia settings program
>> running with SU privileges at boot and overwriting your config?
>
> I'm not sure on this one to be honest. How would I go about checking if that
> were the case?
>
>> I don't have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, it isn't needed anymore (may
>> not be true for Debian) but three files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:
>> 00-keyboard.conf to set keymap, 00-serverflags.conf, and
>> 20-nvidia.conf.
>>
>> James
>
> Which distro are you using? I just tried to download a newer version of the
> driver in the hopes that that would fix things, but all it actually did is
> eat whatever bit of the kernel that controls usb devices!

Is there anything in log files, dmesg, journctl -b (if using
systemd?), /var/log/Xorg.0.log? What card do you have? Is the card
still supported by the driver you're using? My card recently dropped
out into one of legacy driver packages.

I'm using Arch Linux, with a Nvidia GT9600 card, also running Steam.
Nvidia version 340.65. There's an LTS version too.

Arch is all manual configuration to get everything you want working
but once it's done it's done, and a rolling release system means no
major version upgrades means no re-install. Just be prepared to deal
with problems on the way. Lot's of help in the Wiki, for example:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nvidia