[Klug-general] xorg woes

Paul Lenton lentonp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:00:32 UTC 2014

On 17/12/14 11:47, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> Remind me tonight and I'll have a look at my HTPC to see if there is
> an xorg.conf file.
>
> I use the latest NVIDIA from this page...
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-amd64-display-archive.html
>
> ...and go through the switch-out-of-x, lightdm stop, install, lightdm
> start, reboot INSTALL process... but that is only when I CHANGE drivers.

I downloaded a driver from there before (331.79) which is the most
stable one I've found so far.
When I went to 331.113 or whatever the newest one is in APT, it doesn't
recognise my second screen, and the 340.65 completely borked my PC.

I did try to completely purge all of the drivers from my PC with dpkg -l
| grep nvidia and apt-get purge nvidia* and try to reinstall that way,
but the 331.113-updates package is determined to remove playonlinux and
wine so I ended up running the install script for the 331.79 again.

I did notice on the verbose output that a group called
nvidia-persistenced is being created with a sudo command but I can't
figure out how to change the group to be owned by me without meaning
that my user account has access to startup scripts.

If Debian 8 wasn't so painfully close to release (hopefully!) I'd drop
xubuntu and be a Debian boy again. I got Ubuntu because I wanted an easy
life, not constant xorg problems! Arrggh.

--
Paul

GitHub - EckoZero
https://github.com/eckozero