[Klug-general] Limits on number of 802.11x clients?

Alan alan at hipnosi.org
Fri Jun 6 15:59:04 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Running into a weird problem trying to use about 60 wireless devices
simultaneously on a single ESSID and I wonder if anyone has some
experience of any issues or limitations in this regard..

I am helping out a local cell of coderdojo.com, as soon as more than 20
or so devices connect to their wireless, no more new devices can
associate (even if existing devices get off).

Initially I thought it was a problem with the wireless AP on the cheap
ADSL router, so I set up a separate wireless AP relaying the DHCP from
the router (yes the router has a large pool - 192.168.1.5-250). Still
during the next session the same issue again.

Following that I installed a Debian box running dnsmasq as a DHCP server
and NAT routing traffic on the AP to the ADSL router - what do you know,
same problem!

The core issue is the inability of large numbers of devices to associate
with the wireless AP (have tried a few different consumer wireless AP's
by now - all with same symptoms)

The next dojo is tomorrow and I will be there to diagnose onsite this
time, but if anybody has any heads-ups about large wireless networks I'd
really appreciate the info.

Alan