[Klug-general] Limits on number of 802.11x clients?

Karl Buckland buckland.karl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:10:23 UTC 2014

Hi Alan,

Regardless of the issue of devices getting registered, I would have thought
that 60 devices would be completely oversubscribing a wireless access
point. On a 54 mbps access point in perfect conditions, those 60 clients
would get about 900kbps each. Then you have TCP overheads on top of that.
Even with a faster access point, the timing interference between all those
radios trying to broadcast at once becomes a big problem. And that's with
perfect conditions. More than likely, it's much worse than that. Are the
devices that are registering working properly? I would've thought they
would be struggling and you'd need at least two access point on different
channels.

Sorry I know that isn't answering your questions directly, but I looked
into something similar previously and thought this might help.

Karl