[Klug-general] answer to my FOI request from Kent County Coucil

Dan Attwood danattwood at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 07:43:19 UTC 2014

>Agreed. But they talk about a "strategic commitment" to Microsoft. Do
>you know what a "strategic commitment" is? Do council members have stock
>options in Microsoft? Seriously though, why on earth would anyone have a
>"strategic commitment" to a corporation?

They mean their 5 and 10 years plans. ie.
We currently have Windows on all our machines and it works and we happy
with the associated costs, current staff training etc.
We expect, and MS have told us ,that they will release new versions of all
their products and  we will have a clear supported upgrade path to those
products
Within that we have a estimated life span and refresh rate of hardware etc.

If they switched to OSS they would still need a "strategic commitment" to
that as an organisation