[Klug-general] How does Kent County Council select software?

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye at riseup.net
Fri Sep 19 08:50:50 UTC 2014

Dan Attwood wrote on 19/09/14 09:05:
> Bloated
>
> A fresh imaged version of windows 7 will cotain the based os, the
> browser, notepad a caculator and some bit and bobs. Not really what
> I'd call bloated. They probably won't have much more software
> installed on them either.  Given the that the machines are in a public
> they will also almost certainly be creating and destroying user
> profiles at each login so they won't cruft up much over time.
It looks like this could begin a long and pointless debate about the
role of linux in public institutions. I would only request you check on
the vector of changes. There are a growing number of public institutions
switching to free software.

By "bloated" I was referring to the code and the comment thereon made by
(former) employees of Microsoft. You and I (or at least I) don't have
access to that code so we can't evaluate it.

> Buggy
>
> I've used windows 7 for about 4 years now full time at work. I've had
> a handful of blue screens and crashes over that time. I've probably
> had ubuntu lock up about as much. This is on machine that runs
> virtualbox, encodes videos, runs full adbobe suite and programming
> tools and has me constantly fiddle with things. On a clean library
> machine any potential bugs will be even less
Again this is not a value judgement. Compare the length of the Microsoft
bug list with that of linux.

> Virus prone
>
> True but, they will be behind a firewall and internet filtering system
> which will cut out a lot of these problems. They
> will almost certainly have local antivirus on them
At what cost?

> Cost
>
> This is a one you really have to be careful on. The cost of the OS is
> only one part of the puzzle. You have to factor in the cost of
> employing linux skilled people and the cost of managing linux
> maxchines en mass.
> For example we use SCCM here at work to manage around 2000 devices. It
> enables all software installs and updates to be
> done automatically pushed out to machines. the systems that do this
> for linux (landscape, satellite, chef entrpirse etc ) can actually be
> very expensive by comparison.
>
> As Nathan points out you actually have to point out the cost of user
> acceptance. the first time a member of the public opens a word file in
> libre office and gets back garbage you're' going to meet a lot of
> frustration.
Here I feel a bit more confident. I have been working with pensioners
(many even older than I am) with very little experience with computers.
They are now using Ubuntu 14.04 and not encountering any inordinate
difficulty using it. I can pop on Eldy for people needing a "totally
simple" experience (check it out if you're not familiar with Eldy).
While I was living in Italy I helped out my friend who runs a computer
shop/internet point. I installed Debian testing on one of his older
machines and it was released to his public in 2009. I maintained the
machine until last October when I returned to the UK. Before I left and
at his request I installed linux on all his remaining machines (a total
of 5) and this time used Lubuntu since (a) I wouldn't be around (b) the
machines were old. We stay in contact and there are no problems. All the
time I was in Gorizia (nearly 5 years) there were no complaints (only
some questions) involving the linux machine. I rest my case.

> I make these points as an ardant Linux fan boy who would love to see
> more Linux being used. Projects like Limux, Udine and the French
> Police are awesome. But if you're going to be approaching the Council
> about this you need to make sure you have very sound reasoning and not
> just 'Windows is rubbish and Linux is awesome' or you will just be
> pushed aside as a zealot.
>
> Natahn suggestion of putting in a FOI request is a really good one.

I have followed Nathan's suggestion and already posted a FOI  request on
the "whatdotheyknow" web site. The title is:
/The choice of an operating system (OS) used on library computers/

The last time I used Windows was around 2006. I was attending a
conference in Paris and wanted to send some email. I borrowed the hotels
computer which I carried into their dining room and plugged it in. I was
in a hurry and sent out a couple of messages and then tried to shut down
Windows. Well, it wanted to put in some updates and would not give me
the option of saying "later please" after 3-4 minutes of cajoling in
vain the only solution was to unplug the thing and leave it on the desk
for the hotel to sort out. What a piece of garbage.
Cheers,
Jonathan