[Klug-general] Kent Digest, Vol 464, Issue 1

Brian Reay brian.reay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:39:28 UTC 2014

True.

But, don't forget things like printers, video cards, etc. Not all have
drivers which are 'nice' to install for Linux (a point Linus T
acknowledges). People like us recognise that isn't really a true Linux
issue, it is the vendors who don't supply the information or develop
drivers, or we can find drivers and install them via the command line
etc. However, your average Windows/MacOS user expects them to either to
just 'be there', come with the printer, or be available from the makers
website. Suggest he/she needs to open a terminal, type (to him/her) a
load of 'black magic nonsense' and chances are they will reach for the
Windows 8 CD (Yuk).

We like the 'black magic' but, most users don't. They just want a
machine to do a 'job', they don't 'get off' on the 'black magic' (so to
speak), they are odd. ;-) Worst of all, many are beyond hope odd, they
think Windows 8 is good.

Brian