[Klug-general] Kent Digest, Vol 464, Issue 1

Brian Reay brian.reay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:52:35 UTC 2014

Unless you don't like your folks, why would you inflict Unity on them?

Why not something more like XP, which they know? Perhaps Mint with
Cinnamon. I know it has its critics but for someone used to XP, it is
probably an easier transition. To my shame, I have to admit my wife uses
Windows but, while on holiday, she needed to use my Linux machine. She
was able to figure out the basics in a couple of minutes to access the
applications she needed etc. She is bright but not a computer geek type.
That was Cinnamon on Ubuntu.

I've not tried LUBUNTU but I think UBUNTU has lost its way and, while I
still have it on some of my machines, I'm also running MINT on a couple,
which I will probably switch over to.

(I know MINT is UBUNTU based but the user interface is much better and
there is much less fiddling post install to get things 'right' I find.)

Brian