[Klug-general] HDMI over wifi ... ?

Paul Lawrence paul.z.lawrence at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 18 12:25:13 UTC 2015

Hi
Group

Some
advice please.

I've
been working with a group to install a giant TV in my
localchurch (12thCentury and therefore the structure is highly regulated) for
presentations/videos etc and using maybe Easyworship software to manage the displays. The
TV is lowered and raised from the roof area as required (which
required lots of permissions)The arrangement is based
on agraphics card in the PC that has
HDMI out. Distance from PC to TV must be at about 50mwhich we manage using a pair of
HDMI over Cat5 boxes. This works pretty well.

Fig1:

PC&HDMI
→ Convert to Ethernet → 2xCat5 → Convert to HDMI → TV
line-out
sound-desk

Enables
us to play the presentation on TV and manage the sound via existing
sound-desk and sound system.

The
Cat5 is proving unreliable (and very untidy) and we've looking at
ways of using wifi (and currently an AppleTV box) to replicate the
above.

Fig
2:

iMAC/PC
→ wifi → Airport → wifi → Apple TV → TV

We
can use Airport router and Airparrot2 software to send to an Apple TV
box plugged into the TV HDMI to display the video but no sound comes
from the PC - all sound is from the TV. An alternative could be a
Chrome browser to 'cast' the tab to a Chrome dongle but I suspect the
same result.

1.
Am I right in thinking that when using Airparrot2/Chrome browser the
PC has no action in decoding the file merely streaming to the TV? And
that is why we get no sound from PC. Which leads me to think we'll
need to connect the TV to the sound desk via one of the sound input
XLR points.

2.
If we cannot repair/re-run the Cat5 .. is there a (cheap) way of
sending HDMI over wifi?

Thanks

Paul