[Klug-general] Next KLUG Meeting

Kevin Groves kgroves at cix.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 12:40:43 UTC 2015

On 11/03/15 13:36, John Cundy wrote:
> Don't know if it helps but rather than pub has anybody ever tried to
> get a room at a social club. A lot of them have rooms , and would be
> glad of the trade, no idea of cost though it shouldn't be a lot

The point being cost and one we have to recoup back by those present as
we have no subscription so if few turn up it can be quite a bit for
those to stump up, of course if lots turn up its not so bad. Yes I admit
if we were to go down a proper paid subscription then rooms won't be a
problem but then with that comes doing AGMs, having a constitution,
chasing people for subs, banking, the list goes on. I don't have time
for that personally and if anyone has and wants to take that on then I'm
happy to hand it over.

One way or the other there are 'challenges' to over come, and with the
current setup then there is less admin to do. Again this is double edged
as it means I don't have it as a priority to make something more to
boost it.

There has been a user group for over 10 years now, and the Linux
environment has changed, one we've brought up a number of times about if
there is a need for the user group. Those of you who support KLUG, thank
you, its good to know it still has some life left in it.

The drive as always is use it or lose it. We need locations that allow
free us so we can be as open to as many people as possible. With bums on
seats things will change.

Yes I do agree that social clubs are a good option, however you often
need to be a member and then have limited numbers of guests. If we need
multiple locations that then becomes an expense individually. If we then
need to use the room as a non-member then raising funds. Years ago I
would fund some of this via my private Linux work but I don't do that
(private Linux work) any more so sponsorship is one way. But then we
don't really do much advertising for a sponsor to benefit from.

It's quite frankly a night mare :-)

Anyway we're still looking at options and will check out a few pubs as
that may be a quick one to get something back running. Any offers will
be looked at though.

Thanks
Kev

PS sorry for the rant. :-)