[Klug-general] copy.com closure

Azelphur azelphur at azelphur.com
Tue Feb 2 17:45:48 UTC 2016

+1 for ownCloud, (Disclaimer: I am one of the devs)

If you've ever used Dropbox ownCloud is very similar, except that it's
all open source, and you can choose to either host yourself, or use one
of the many free/paid providers, some of which are listed at
https://owncloud.org/providers/

On 02/02/16 12:42, Alan wrote:
> We use ownCloud to sync device data, it was surprisingly easy to set
> up and the owncloud-client is multi-platform.
> As with copy.com there is a cli in case you don't have a gui on the
> client.
>
> If you don't have your own server then they are not so expensive -
> depends on what space you need.
> I have tried VM's from kimsufi (OVH fr) and cloudatcost (Canada) and
> they work well, probably there are others.
>
> PS - owncloud-client: Debian - don't use the standard repo version use
> the opensuse repo instructions on the website
>
> On 02/02/16 11:56, Paul Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> I use free-element of copy.com as backup and to keep a linux and a
>> windows laptop in sync, however I was greeted with this yesterday,
>>
>> https://techlib.barracuda.com/display/COPY/Copy+End-of-Life
>>
>> In case any of your clients/friends use the service ...
>>
>> This is a big pity as it had a very reasonable linux app as well as
>> Windows and OSX and seemed to just bimble away without too much
>> attention although sometimes it seemed to demand all the CPU.
>>
>> Currently I'm using 7G of 20G allowance but I'm reluctant to move
>> over to Google Drive as one password opens all Google services, so
>> would welcome any thoughts/recommendations?
>> Paul

  - Alfie "Azelphur" Day