[Klug-general] Raspberry Pi + IR + HiFiBerry?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 21:47:49 UTC 2016

I've got this up and working now, in a non-permanent way at the
moment, but wasn't too difficult really.

First thing I looked at was how to get the HiFiBerry Dac+ and Pibow
Coupe case work together. The Dac+ comes with some plastic mounting
bolt things, which I shortened with a hot knife. I screwed each bolt
into part of the case, and a just-right arrangement of a stainless hex
nut & washer to provide a platform to move the hot knife across to get
a flat cut and equal length for each bolt. The Dac+ mounting bolts
then went through part of the Pibow case as well as the Pi itself
(rather than just through the Pi).

To get the Dac+ working, I commented out the LIRC GPIO pin assignment
in the /boot/config.txt, and then blacklisted the Pi's onboard audio
kernel module. There was also an additional dtoverlay entry required
for the Dac+.

Then to get LIRC working again, I told it to use gpio_in_pin=4, just
like they guy who had soldered his IR receiver to the DAC+. The IR
receiver itself has it's pins poking through the corresponding GPIO
holes in the DAC+, quite simple to follow from the photo
http://demon.dclxviproductions.com/raspberry/stackable_dacplus.jpg
I just bent the pins slightly so they offered a bit of resistance for
it to stay put.

Of course it didn't quite go that smoothly, but less than an evening
spent, and the audio is so much better now, really worth it if you
have it plugged into a hifi amp.

James.