[Klug-general] how to access a synology DS916+ box?

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at skimble.plus.com
Mon Oct 30 13:33:05 UTC 2017

Alan via Kent <kent at mailman.lug.org.uk> writes:

> How to enable ssh/telnet on DSM:
>
> https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/system_terminal
>
> I seem to recall that the root password is by default the same as that of the admin user.

Thanks for this Alan, I have enabled ssh as per the instructions, and
finally found out why it kept telling me to change my password, after
I'd logged out and back in again, and was forced to set a new password!

So ssh is enabled, and checking using nmap I get this report

Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-10-30 13:18 GMT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.104
Host is up (0.00027s latency).
Not shown: 989 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
21/tcp   open     ftp
22/tcp   open     ssh
80/tcp   open     http
139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
443/tcp  open     https
445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
873/tcp  open     rsync
3260/tcp filtered iscsi
3261/tcp filtered winshadow
5000/tcp open     upnp
5001/tcp open     commplex-link

Which is showing that ssh and rsync have open ports being used by them.
But, if I try to ssh in I get this result -

ssh boudiccas at 192.168.1.104
boudiccas at 192.168.1.104's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Connection to 192.168.1.104 closed.

And here I'm stuck! Can you help/advise please?

Thanks
Sharon.

> ====================================
>
> On 30/10/17 11:10, Alan via Kent wrote:
>
>     Look around the interface for a way of enabling ssh access. Once this is
>     done you can use nmap to ascertain open ports on the device.
>     eg: if the device is on 192.168.1.220:
>
>      #nmap 192.168.1.220
>
>     This is the output when nmapping our synology
>
>     Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-10-30 09:07 GMT
>     Nmap scan report for 10.100.100.12
>     Host is up (0.00028s latency).
>     Not shown: 986 closed ports
>     PORT      STATE SERVICE
>     22/tcp    open  ssh
>     80/tcp    open  http
>     111/tcp   open  rpcbind
>     139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
>     161/tcp   open  snmp
>     443/tcp   open  https
>     445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds
>     548/tcp   open  afp
>     2049/tcp  open  nfs
>     5000/tcp  open  upnp
>     5001/tcp  open  commplex-link
>     49160/tcp open  unknown
>     50001/tcp open  unknown
>     50002/tcp open  iiimsf
>     MAC Address: 00:11:xx:xx:xx:xx (Synology Incorporated)
>
>     note: The port names are simply those contained in /etc/services of the
>     scanning machine so may not be accurate as to the actual service.
>
>     On 30/10/17 10:48, Sharon Kimble via Kent wrote:
>
>         Now the builders have finished their works on my flat, I've got my
>         synology box out, set it up and updated it. Its a 'DS916+' with 4 4tb
>         drives raided to 8 tbs. I can access it using its web GUI, but not from
>         the command line nor from nautilus. I can 'drag n'drop' to it, but in
>         every other way its inaccessible to me, unfortunately.
>
>         Can anyone help me gain access to it please? I've looked at the synology
>         site help pages, and its as if they're talking a foreign language, I
>         don't understand them at all!
>
>         My ultimate aim is to be able to store rsync backups on it.
>
>         Thanks
>         Sharon.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.2, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.3.2, org-mode 9.1.1