[Klug-general] how to access a synology DS916+ box?

Alan alan at hipnosi.org
Mon Oct 30 17:57:00 UTC 2017

I think DSM is based on OpenBSD, so ordinary users wont have access to
ssh by default.
if I look at our user named "partimag":

cat /etc/passwd | grep partimag
 partimag:x:1026:100:partimag share
user:/var/services/homes/partimag:/sbin/nologin

cat /etc/passwd | grep root
 root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/ash

------------distraction warning begin-------
WTF is "ash" !!!????
ls -l /bin/ash
 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jul 15  2016 /bin/ash -> bash
ah yes, small memory devices seem to use this "ash" alias for bash. hmm
I wonder why...
STOP! step away from the geekstractions and continue with the task at
hand...
------------distraction warning ends------

What this above means is that only root has bash. So try:
ssh -vv root at ipaddress
(use the admin's password on prompt)

Once logged in as root you can configure your user to have access to
bash with
vi /etc/passwd
[learn the basic vi commands if you don't know already] (do take care)
change the "/sbin/nologin" for your user line to  "/sbin/ash"

On a *nix box you'd need to restart  sshd with
 system sshd restart
but on this... I don't know, reboot at last resort, but let the thread
know if you find out how to restart the ssh-shell service.

After this, I expect you can login as yourself.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/system_terminal