[Lincoln LUG] [Lincs] Lincoln LUG: launch of new LUG

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Thu Aug 25 22:18:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Carl Inglis <carl.inglis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused that we have two LUGs, two mailing lists, and at least
> one set of forums - where are we supposed to discuss things again?
>
> Some of us prefer mailing lists, some prefer forums; personally I
> prefer usenet, but I'm a dinosaur in that respect. :) Unfortunately
> with a proliferation of media one has to get in the habit of reading
> them all (which is rather time consuming).
>
> I've kept quiet through all this because I was never an active
> participant in the Lincs LUG. Having said that, I think part of the
> problem with the Lincs LUG was the difficulty of organising something
> that more than one or two people could attend. (Please note, I don't
> have any evidence for this; this is based on my recollection of the
> mailing list - I haven't gone trawling the archives looking for
> anything to support my point :) ).
>
> I understand what Becky's been trying to do; I can also understand her
> frustration; however I do feel that this has all moved rather fast;
> certainly faster than I've been able to keep track of at some points.
> Which is part of why I've kept out of the discussion until now.
>
> I'm taking the view of seeing how things come out in the wash - I'm
> based in Lincoln so (work, wife, cats, etc. willing) I'll do my best
> to come along to the first meeting.
>
> TTFN
>
> Carl

Hi Carl

I never meant to cause any confusion; I'm a simple girl at heart, who
likes simple things in life! :D

There is a County wide Lincolnshire LUG, being run virtually by Iain
Baker and Dave Rice via their mailing list, a website and a forum
(currently there are 2 websites and forums running - I think they are
moving things over to their new website at
http://www.lincslug.org.uk/wp/).

Then there is a Lincoln LUG, established by me, with the plan for it
to provide real-life, regular meets in Lincoln.  It is very much in
its infancy ATM and communication will be via the mailing list mostly,
with a holding webpage directing potential new members to join the
mailing list and possibly listing the date, time & venue for our
meeting.  The Lincoln LUG is open to any members to join, as is any
other LUG around the country!

I agree that there has been some frustration on my part, especially
when I am being criticised for doing something proactive that I see as
a positive for our community as a whole.

Wife, work and cats willing, I hope to see you at our first meeting.

Cheers

Becky