[Lincoln LUG] meeting format and my hellos

tom bruton tombruton87 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 23 02:18:50 UTC 2012

Was great to meet all of you the other night. Sorry I didn't get to speak
to every1 got into a deep conversation with Alister and a tenacious debate
about security with Becky's other half. Its good to speak to like minded
people.

I spoke to Becky about how the Leeds groups worked and building on the
Lincoln community. However I don't want to step on anybodies toes, so it
was suggested I emailed some ideas in the mailing list and see what people
think.

In Leeds the place I have spent the last few years of my life there is
quite a few groups similar to LUG e.g. OWASP and Ruby Thing. Out of all the
groups OWASP is by far the most popular with professionals students and
hobbyists alike. I think this is mainly down to there format, which is 2
talks running from 40mins to and hour then off to the pub.

I think a similar format could work for LLUG, having a single 40min hour
presentation then a general social aspect. I think it would give the
meeting a focal point and also attract others into the group as it will
give immediate value to coming. I would be more than happy to do the
occasional presentation a few topics i wouldn't mind doing are

   - Home Networking gone wild (really just going though really cool home
   networking stuff you can do such as media servers with front ends on tvs,
   network logins across all OS's, home instant messaging service,
   virtualisation servers, intranet. Oh and how to do it for cheap)
   - Why linux sucks
   - Why linux is awesome and you should ignore everything I said in my why
   linux sucks presentation
   - Hacking IP cameras

I have taken inspiration for the presentation ideas from other
presentations but they would all be original presentations.

The other thing that a couple of people mentioned is a desire to learn
html/css. This is something in which the basic concepts can be taught in a
day and people can walk away with something pretty cool that they have
made. Again I would not mind getting involved in running a day course.

So guys/girls let me know what you think to my ideas, tell me if I'm way
off the mark to what people want from the group if that is the case. I
would just really love to see a large and active Linux community in the
Lincoln area.

PS Becky said about attracting some IT students from the uni a good person
to talk to is Joss Winn, he has been using linux and a friendly chap from
what ive been told.

jwinn at lincoln.ac.uk01522 88 6075

function os()
    {