[Lincoln LUG] Quickie Introduction

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Tue Jul 31 18:34:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Terry Froy <tez+lincoln-lug at spilsby.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Terry and I am the Technical Director/Owner of a local
> Lincolnshire-based ISP.
>
> We use Linux almost exclusively in our network and use FreeBSD and OpenBSD
> where we don't use Linux.
>
> I have been a personal user of Linux since 1996 with my first distro being
> Slackware and Red Hat Linux 4.0 primarily because I was still on 14.4k
> dialup and the only readily-available source of Linux was Lasermoon's
> CD-ROM compilation of current distros with source archives.
>
> Since 2004, I have been involved with the operation and running of a small
> ISP called Spilsby Internet Solutions which was formed out of my
> frustration through lack of co-location facilities in Lincolnshire and then
> ADSL/FTTC came later after seeing the current state of the market and a
> lack of focus on users who are technically competent in such matters.
>
> Therefore, I would very much like to attend the Lincoln LUG meeting on
> August 15th and give a talk on IPv6.
>
> As we have been running a production IPv6 network since 2004, I think I
> know enough about it from a theoretical and practical sense to be able to
> answer any questions that anyone may have on the topic.
>
> The talk would consist of some of the things you need to know about IPv6:
>
> * What it is.
> * Why it won't bite you.
> * The questions you should be asking your ISP.
> * The security implications of introducing IPv6 to a network
> * The 'gotchas' you need to watch out for when configuring a Linux box for
> IPv6.
>
> Naturally, I will be around afterwards to partake in refreshments and
> answer any in-depth questions...
>
> Regards,
> Terry

Hi Terry

Welcome to the mailing list and thanks for your quick intro above.  It will
be great to hear your talk on IPv6 at our next LUG meeting and thank you
for being the first to step forward to give one; do you need anything
set-up to give your presentation?  I will have a word with the bowl and
make sure that we are allocated the bigger party room for the evening.

We start our meetings at 7pm, and due to the distance that some of our
members travel they like to get their food ordered and eaten. Are you ok
with an 8pm start time for your talk?

Looking forward to meeting you and hearing your presentation on 15th
August. Let's hope that we have a good membership turn-out to hear what you
have to say :)

Cheers

Becky