[Lincoln LUG] Lightweight linux for older hardware

Dave Briggs dave at kindofdigital.com
Fri Nov 9 22:44:45 UTC 2012

Hi all

Following all the problems I had trying to get Ubuntu running on my Lenovo
netbook, I gave up! Stuck it on a shelf and will go back to it at some
point, but just found it very frustrating!

So instead I bought a second hand T61 Thinkpad as I thought it would be a
safe bet to run a number of Linux distros. I now have the latest Ubuntu
running on it, and it's fine. However, with the rather old T61 I am sure
there is a lot of stuff in Ubuntu that I don't need, particularly some of
the eye candy which I am sure is slowing things down.

To speed things up a bit I've ordered an SSD to replace the hard drive and
an extra 2gb of RAM (so will have 4 in total). However I still think Ubuntu
will be a bit bloaty, so was wondering what people would recommend as a
replacement that's friendly to older hardware?

I know there some Crunchbang aficionados on this list, and am more than
happy to hear about the benefits of that system!

Cheers

Dave

--
Dave Briggs - Director, Kind of Digital Ltd

dave at kindofdigital.com | http://kindofdigital.com | 07501 190090

http://twitter.com/davebriggs | http://gplus.to/dbriggs