[Lincoln LUG] Lightweight linux for older hardware

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Sat Nov 10 13:30:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Dave Briggs <dave at kindofdigital.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Following all the problems I had trying to get Ubuntu running on my Lenovo
> netbook, I gave up! Stuck it on a shelf and will go back to it at some
> point, but just found it very frustrating!
>
> So instead I bought a second hand T61 Thinkpad as I thought it would be a
> safe bet to run a number of Linux distros. I now have the latest Ubuntu
> running on it, and it's fine. However, with the rather old T61 I am sure
> there is a lot of stuff in Ubuntu that I don't need, particularly some of
> the eye candy which I am sure is slowing things down.
>
> To speed things up a bit I've ordered an SSD to replace the hard drive and
> an extra 2gb of RAM (so will have 4 in total). However I still think Ubuntu
> will be a bit bloaty, so was wondering what people would recommend as a
> replacement that's friendly to older hardware?
>
> I know there some Crunchbang aficionados on this list, and am more than
> happy to hear about the benefits of that system!
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Hi Dave :)

I run #! on a T61 and it works just fine. I am not sure I can really
spout the benefits though, at least not in an unbiased manner. I will
say it is a fair bit different form Ubuntu and I think it should be
best left as a suck-it-and-see exercise -- some people love it, some
don't. If you decide to give it a try, I would love to know what you
think.

Cheers,
Philip

P.S. If you have any #! specific questions, feel free to ask them on
the forums: http://crunchbang.org/forums