[Lincoln LUG] Internet Testing

Alistair Crust alistair at spilsby.net
Mon Jan 21 13:41:09 UTC 2013

Hi Kevin,

Also check out cacti, nagios and others. If you can get the admin of the router to provide a read only account for snmp to can graph more accurately.

Kind regards
Alistair

Kevin Hall <kevin.hall at hallictservices.co.uk> wrote:

Hi All

I have a school which has a very slow internet connection and I would
like to prove it is the connection from the router to the nearest POP
(point of presence).

I have a raspberry pi and I thought that with the right software, I
could get it to monitor the connection and graph the results.

I am looking at ntop. I have not done much with it yet but my initial
feeling is that it just monitors the pi's eth0 so I would still have to
cron an upload/download at regular intervals to get meaningful results.

Would this work?

Regards

Kevin