[Lincoln LUG] Distros

tom bruton tombruton87 at googlemail.com
Thu May 9 18:30:35 UTC 2013

6 months ago I hated Ubuntu mainly because of unity. However now it has won
my heart for a few reasons, the Ubuntu store has really matured
, good place to find software makes installing all your programs at 1st
setup really quick.

Lenses are now customizable(used to be just amazon), meaning you can
integrate Ebay, Facebook twitter and a host of other things on the desktop.
find it really useful to check stuff on Ebay on there.

It looks good, in my opinion the best looking version of Linux about at the
moment, however looks are subjective.

Has a large user base, so you get alot of community support.

you can sync all your online accounts with the OS which is pretty cool,
also when you go on certain websites it also integrates with those sites

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Neal Quincey <neal.quincey at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Shouldn't be too painful to try Debian, there is an Ubuntu version of
> the XPS13 and if you have a spare hard drive it would be safe to try on
> that.
>
> Neal
>
> On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 14:08 +0100, Dave Briggs wrote:
> > Thought it may be a good idea to start up a bit of a holy war :-)
> >

> > I've a new laptop on the way and am wanting to put Linux on it and for
> > it to become my main machine (leaving my Mac behind...).
> >

> > So, distro choice. Ubuntu seems to be the default choice for a lot of
> > folk, but I'm not a fan of various things they are doing, including
> > the ads in search results, the forcing of Ubuntu One down your throat,
> > and so on. Don't personally find Unity that offensive as it happens.
> >

> > Other seem to like Mint which seems to take the best bits of Ubuntu
> > while stripping out the annoying stuff - am I right?
> >

> > I'd really like to give Debian a proper go, but I do worry that it
> > won't support the hardware in the laptop (it's a Dell XPS 13) without
> > difficulty.
> >

> > What are people's thoughts?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > --
> > Dave Briggs - Director, Kind of Digital Ltd
> >

> > dave at kindofdigital.com | http://kindofdigital.com | 07501 190090 | 020
> > 3286 5186
> >

> > http://twitter.com/davebriggs | http://gplus.to/dbriggs | Skype:
> > kindofdigital