[Lincoln LUG] Linux Newbie

All Seasons info at allseasonsuk.com
Tue Jul 8 20:29:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

As a long term Windows user now looking to make the leap to Linux I was hoping
one or two of might spare me the time both at the meets and via email between
meets to get me up to speed on the basics of Linux and to mentor me to a more
advanced level.

Here's where I'm currently at:
1, Have built a Bootable USB drive with Coreplus 5.3 version of Tiny Core Unix
on it which I'm currently playing with.

2, I'm using open source linux based firmware (DGTeam & OpenWRT/ Gargoyle) on
several Netgear modems & routers in my home network.

This is what I'm looking  for help with:
1a, In the short term I'm looking to understand the basic directory structure
used by Linux. Creating incremental builds with additional application
extensions and using Xfce as a windows manager on said USB drive and on Laptop
HDD.
1b, In the Medium term I'm looking to get to grips with Linux for use as my
everyday desktop environment to replace my current Windows XP desktop.

2, Custom Building OpenWRT firmware with a Download Manager application
extension.

Any offers of help greatly received and I'm looking forwards to meeting you all
at next weeks Lincoln LUG.

Phil