[Lincoln LUG] Linux Newbie

Philip Newborough philip.newborough at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 21:09:28 UTC 2014

On 8 Jul 2014, at 21:17, All Seasons <info at allseasonsuk.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Phil :)

> As a long term Windows user now looking to make the leap to Linux I was hoping one or two of might spare me the time both at the meets and via email between meets to get me up to speed on the basics of Linux and to mentor me to a more advanced level.

The LUG is all about knowledge sharing, so I’m sure you’ll find plenty of people willing to try and answer any questions you might have.

> Here's where I'm currently at:
> 1, Have built a Bootable USB drive with Coreplus 5.3 version of Tiny Core Unix on it which I'm currently playing with.

An interesting choice of distro. I’ve only briefly played around with Tiny Core, so I’d be interested to listen to your thoughts on it. Personally, I kind of like the philosophy behind it, but it seems like a lot of hard work.

> 2, I'm using open source linux based firmware (DGTeam & OpenWRT/ Gargoyle) on several Netgear modems & routers in my home network.

I’m sure you’ll find some folks at the LUG who will be interested to know more about this, me for one!

> This is what I'm looking  for help with:
> 1a, In the short term I'm looking to understand the basic directory structure used by Linux. Creating incremental builds with additional application extensions and using Xfce as a windows manager on said USB drive and on Laptop HDD.
> 1b, In the Medium term I'm looking to get to grips with Linux for use as my everyday desktop environment to replace my current Windows XP desktop.
>
> 2, Custom Building OpenWRT firmware with a Download Manager application extension.
>
> Any offers of help greatly received and I'm looking forwards to meeting you all at next weeks Lincoln LUG.
>
> Phil

The LUG is on a summer break this month, but it’ll be great to meet you in August?

Cheers,
Philip