[Lincoln LUG] Advice needed on backing up laptops

Kevin Hall kevin_hall at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 1 10:44:30 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your comments. I have also spoken to colleagues  in IT and
the "general" policy appears to be companies are using VPN and as much
data as possible is being kept on in house servers. Computers/laptops
etc. are fully encrypted and external storage devices are not an option.

It is not as clear cut  when it comes to data not on the server. Some
companies do backup files held on the device, others don't because they
are trying to get users to use VPN.

I think we will be looking at VPN with some sort of file backup, as a
backup!

What to use? Well, management have asked the Council to install a
solution because there is just me covering two schools so I don't think
it will be an open source solution.

For your information, I have been testing:

FreeFileSync https://www.freefilesync.org/

Very good, lots of features.

Urbackup https://www.urbackup.org/

Very promising. The only open source backup solution I have been able to
get running in minutes.

Regards

Kevin