[Lincoln LUG] Advice needed on backing up laptops

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 17:15:42 UTC 2017

On 01/07/17 11:44, Kevin Hall via Lincoln wrote:
> What to use? Well, management have asked the Council to install a
> solution because there is just me covering two schools so I don't think
> it will be an open source solution.

I suppose the next question would be what are you backing up, and why?

For example, if important/profile data is held on a central store and
the laptop breaks, simply reimaging the device doesn't have a major
impact, and backups possibly aren't actually needed.

If you're using a device that can't be used with a central store (e.g.
lack of connection), what data are you storing locally that's important,
and when do you perform the backup?

If you don't need disk-level backups then Terry's suggestion of
Nextcloud makes a huge amount of sense - you make changes locally then
upload changed files to the server when you do have a connection, no
matter where you are or what connection you're using.