[Lincs] YaSt

Chris Neale lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 24 15:42:01 2003

On Thursday 24 Apr 2003 15:55, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>   I think it was Iain who sent me a mail about YaSt, when I was trying it
> out I somehow wiped everything out of kmail(I did say I was out of my
> depth) and screwed up directories. I'm now another 2 users.
> With rpm's when I get the screen with install with YaSt ,I click , go to
> root then it tells me it can't get the CD
> In the YaSt control panel I've tried all the options to install software,
> I've changed the source to directory, clicked thru until the route is
> listed run it and it tells me it can't get the CD.

is the CD mounted prior to you running YaST ?

at a prompt :

$ mount

does /cdrom ( or whatever their mountpoint is these days ) there ?

if not, you need to mount the CD so YaST can read it ( assuming it is daft
enough that it does not mount CDs itself )

> Please don't laugh too much but it took me 5 months to discover that the
> "make"command wasn't installed as default, and I found Linux for Dummies a
> bit advanced. If it can go wrond I'll do it. I used the YOU online update
> and downloaded the nvidia driver along with other things, it then installed
> itself and I ended up with a black screen and a command prompt plus a
> little bit of panic and a fresh instalation.
> So any help is most welcome and appreciated but please could you make it
> step by step and as simple as possible.
> Tom

I use Mdk, so I don't know the current state of SuSE Linux

--

cdn

--

Extensions for Moz and 'Px' [ http://cdn.mozdev.org/ ]