[Lincs] All quiet on the eastern front

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 21:02:01 BST 2004

Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote:

> Been suspiciously quiet on the list for the last week, everyone
> disappeared on holiday, abducted by little grey aliens or whisked away
> to Oz?

Started my new job, lots of Macs to set up! As of Sunday I will be in
Ireland for two weeks drinking Guinness and trying to forget to ring for
my A-level results.

> Anyway a couple of questions:
>
>    1. Kit for meeting
>
> Who is bringing what kit to the RL (real life) meeting on the 11^th
> Sep? Are we using a “communal” machine to do our demos/talks on?

I should be bringing a pretty new Dell laptop (belonging to my
girlfriend). It doesn't have *nux installed on it yet, I may shove
Knoppix on as a dual boot.

>    2. Printing of flyers/posters
>
> Does anyone out there have the means/knows who can print all of our
> flyers/posters? I need to know as if we have to end up going to a
> print shop I will most likely have to submit the items in format they
> can work with (Pagemaker/Quark express) rather than OS like Scribus.
> This is not a problem, just involves some extra work on my part.

There's a company in Grantham called Prontaprint
(http://www.kellysearch.com/gb-company-900997873.html I don't think
their web site is set up) who print all the mailshots for the company my
dad works for. I'm not sure about prices but could probably find out.

How will this be funded? I would recommend distributing the fliers as a
PDF or something and getting members to print a few each and distribute
them themselves?

>    3. Write Ups
>
> Do people involved in the RL meeting – those doing presentations have
> any objections to a brief bio being written about them to accompany
> the notes of what they are going to talk about. Which reminds me – I
> will need a paragraph or two from each speaker detailing what they are
> going to cover in their presentation.

I don't have a problem with a bio being written about me. As for a
paragraph about my presentation... I don't actually know what I'm going
to say yet :D

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk