[Lincs] Apache Configuration

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 00:21:41 GMT 2004

Chris Marr wrote:
> Apache config: How do you remove the test page that it defaults to, and
> make the server give a directory listing?

That depends on what distribution you're running, but certainly Debian
uses /var/www/ as the default document root. You can find the Document
root in the Apache config file, try "less /etc/apache/httpd.conf | grep
DocumentRoot" for Apache 1.3 or less /etc/apache2/apache2.conf | grep
DocumentRoot" for Apache 2

By deleting the index file from this directory you'll probably find
you'll get a directory listing. Either that or simply renaming (using
mv) the index file is probably the safest bet.

I wouldn't go for editing the apache config for this, but if you do you
might want to run "apachectl configtest" before restarting apache. Or
you can run "apachectl graceful" which is a safer way of restarting
apache and will check for a broken configuration first.

  My Linux box sits there and
> holds two of my development databases, now I also dump some web pages on
> there, I put the databases in their own seperate directory, I want the
> default virtual host to let my browser show a list of all the pages and
> directories in the root directory for the web server.

If you put all the web pages and directories in the /var/www/ or
equivalent directory, as long as there is no index file you'll get a
list of the files and directories like this.

You could set up virtual hosts for different sections by editing
VirtualHost directives in the apache configuration, please ask if you
want more help on that. But for now I think you just need to one host.

Best Wishes

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk