[Lincs] hello from a new member

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 24 20:52:41 BST 2004

On 23 Jun 2004, at 19:14, Dave Rice wrote:

> I guess you are referring to memory when you show
> those figures.  They seem quite normal, as most of
> your memory is 'cached' for future use by applications
> you havent started yet  ;)   don't worry its fairly
> normal and actually speeds up your system.

Sort of. :-)  The cached stuff is all manner of 'stuff' which has been
read from or deposited to the disk - RAM is quick to dump data to and
pull data from, but disks are relatively slow.

The theory is that if the data was used or created recently, it could
be needed again quite soon.  So Linux stores the data in RAM as well as
on the disk (and sometimes doesn't write the data onto the disk until
the system is idle - that's what the bdflush process you might have
seen does, in case it's caught your interest before.)

You can see how much is being used for this disk buffer purpose with
the 'free' command :

              total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         58924      51120       7804          0       2952
11808
-/+ buffers/cache:      36360      22564
Swap:       262136      60960     201176

the top line implies that only about 7MB is free in this computer, but
in reality, there's actually about 22MB free - the middle line tells
you how much memory is being used/is free taking the effect of the disk
buffers out.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.fotoserve.com/