[Lincs] News Archive, and quiet LUG

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 13:40:56 BST 2004

Marc McGuinness wrote:

> If anyone would like to install an archiving system with mangled mail
> addresses on his web space I'll link it on the web page straight away.

I was looking at some free scripts to do this when I came across
http://www.mail-archive.com which is a free mailing list archiving
service which strips out email addresses from the headers of emails
completely (but not message bodies). Perhaps a temporary solution?

I wouldn't want to go ahead with this without a general concensus from
the list though. Is the issue with an archive on the web the risk of
exposing email addresses or is it privacy of the content of messages?

If it is the latter then mail-archive.com is obviously not a solution
but as I've said before, there is no privacy on a public mailing list!
If you want to send a private message then I would suggest sending it to
an individual's email address rather than the mailing list.

Any opinions on this?

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk