[Lincs] Moving over to SuSE

iain baker iain.baker1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 29 23:48:52 BST 2004

Do you have a copy of SuSE 9.1? if not you can download it from the SuSE
webpage, or i could send you a copy snail mail if you dont have broadband!

the free version of 9.1 will not do an upgrade it will only do a new
install, but as you have said you want to reformat then that isn't a
problem!

i also take it from the formatting comment that you no-longer wish to
duel boot??

If you have not yet istalled SuSE 9.0 as a duel boot, and wish to remove
windows and put in 9.1 then isert the 9.1 CD and select Installation
from the menu screen (you only have 8 seconds before it runs with the
pre-selected option of "boot from Hard Disk" so be quick!! then its just
a matter of following the on screen instructions... select the Language
and the software selection. you will then be faced with a screen
listing all your chosen options... fair to say this will probably be
right for a new user (if a litle generous on some libraries). accept the
settings and watch it install...  If you have broadband i sugest you
have it connected via an ethernet connection, and have it plugged in
during the install.. this way when the install is finnished it can
detect your internet settings and do a software update! Then SuSE will
reboot and you will have a nice shiney Linux box!

If you are going to replace a Win/SuSE9.0 duel boot system with a 9.1
pure linux box, then at the stage where you review your selections go
into the partion menu and remove the Windows and Linux partions. this
way you are telling it to install onto the drive not a particular
partition... it should then auto set-up a swap drive and Linux drive...
if not they can be created in the partion menu (swap drive size depends
on the amount of RAM you have and the hard disk size you have... SuSE
auto chose 1 gig for me, but i have enough ram to hardly ever even touch
it) and the File System for a Swap drive is Linux Swap... The FS for the
Linux partition is a matter of choice! SuSE auto selects ReiserFS,
however the choice is yours! Size wise it should take up the majority of
your HD (basically everything thats not swap). i know this seems a nause
but unfortunately the installer on the free 9.1 is a little pants on
partioned drives- so i hope for your sake that its the first option!

if you do not feel confident doing the partitioning then im sure someone
near you will be happy to help out. alternatively you could buy it...
but to be honest the partitioning is really quite easy... the partition
tool in YaST does the hard work!

you will be able to create a boot disk from YaST using the create boot,
rescue, or Module Floppy from the System Menu once SuSE is installed!

hope this helped and hasnt confused you...
if anyone thinks they can do a more English version please feel free!