[Lincs] Thanks for your coming!

lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk lincs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 12 22:28:04 BST 2004

ok, I am REALLY fed up of computers, I have lost this email about six
times, mainly due to lack of power on my laptop. But back to the gist of
a fantasitc first LLUG meeting.

I need to apologise for one thing, I ran off early, and didnt offer to
pay my dues - I do not know if this is something that you needed for
this event (I know that some events we need to hire the room, and at
ALUG ( I will stop comparing LUGs soon, a pet hate of mine) for events
at those rooms we all chip in a small amount and it covers it (like 1/2
squid).

Anywheres, I would like to start a tradition, that is after every event
we do a proper write up. This lets people who where unable to attend
find out what happened at the event. I am submitting the following as a
personal opinion of the events that have happened, especially where the
subjects are almost metaphysical in nature.

The introduction, splat.

MJ's talk, fantastic introduction to the minefeild of legal and
political state of the Free / Open / Gnu / other enviroment that exists
today. In my own opinion, it is the easiest way of understanding the
current situation by learning its history. MJ also went on to discuss
the perils and potential unsteady future of Free Software and Open
Source, even the immediate next six to twelve months.

Ben talk on Migrating of home users gave us simple methods of getting
Free Software onto Home Systems through the use of Mozilla FireFox |
Thunderbird. The only point raised here (by the resident trouble maker,
me) was that the average user was not a home user, but an office /
school / manfacturing user, and as which they can not control what
software they use. This is an important distingusihing point as the
arguments and migration route for these people are different - managers
are resiliant against Free software for many reasons, including  not
just ignorance, but worse still, mis-informed. This also sparked a
discussion over the purpose of  LLUG which I will come back to later.

The next talk, by Marc, was fantastic introduction to using Knoppix as a
starter linux. The only points here are to download his presentation and
use that as the documentation to work from, not the Knoppix site or the
on disk help, as this is up to years old. The second from worse thing
that I hate about Free Software people is that they tend to be
fantasticly dedicated programmers who never document on time. Knoppix
suffers doubly from this - it relies on volunteer translations from the
default German in to the English. Here we also discussed some unique
applications including restoration of data, and options to read / write
to NTFS and setting up of networks and modem dialing through the knoppix
menu (not normal start menu).

The last talk I was present at was about the use of Linux From Scratch.
This was actually interesting, or in my opinion. I dont however think
that it would be suitable for novice users. For someone who is more
experienced with programming concepts and compilation it does provide an
excellent way of getting into and understanding Linux, Posix, and the
internal workings of related systems, including applications and the way
they interface with each other as well as the kernel and it's modules. I
would not recommend this for use in a production system where any
stability is needed..

Going back to my earlier point of the discussion about LLUG, it was
raised that the point of LLUG might be to promote Free / Open Source
software. It was asked who is in LLUG, what are their points of view.

The only point I didnt get round to talking about at the meeting was the
use of the message board over the mailing list. I dont mind either. I
hate both. That is, I dont mind having to use one or the other one, but
I hate the idea that there are both, that because members can choose,
you will end up with people who prefer one to the other, and therfore
only check one or the other. This will, in my opinon cause a segmented
society. I prefer the mailing list - it comes to me, in a format that I
choose (I can configure my mail client, I can download and read at my
lesure) as opposed to a forum where I have to use a web browser, in your
format, and I have to be online to follow threads. There is also the
idea of security with a mailing list - we would be able to re-construct
a mailing list from subscribers hard disks as opposed to a server which
would rely on a database backup.

 From my point of view, LLUG shouldnt have a single line of
description.There are, as I see it, two strands of people, or to be more
precisie, in people. The Techincal, and the Political: Techincal, If you
are a "newb" or whatever, you will need more experienced people to help
you. More experienced people generally want to hang around with people
of their own peer ability (And or better), so the ability to discuss
really advanced stuff, in parrell to the really not-so advanced stuff is
essential. From the Political side of things, again, the newb's and the
advanced people will be running off talking about the minor differences
between different licensing.

What I am getting at here is that individuals will want unique things
from the group - from a social group of people with similar interests,
to a techincal help and assistance group of all levels, to a political
sounding board for mass migrations of users, through to the promotion of
Open Source, or even, Free Software. That you dont nessiciarilly need a
definite reason for the group, but let it evolve.  The one thing i would
beg is that we define a start of a regular meeting and dont change it,
that people make the effort to either turn up online, and or in real
life, and through that we can jump start the social side of the group. A
social side, friendly banter etc, means that we are more likely to
respond to techincal / poltiical requests.

The only thing I would recommend not doing, which is a thing I've
allready done in this email, is to compare your LUG with every other LUG
- there are humongeous differences brought on by both the people in the
LUG which are over-comable by bringing in outsiders (for instance,
organised talks about topics can be overcome by bringing in people from
surrounding areas by plying of alcohol, to talk about it) and also by
the geographic nature of the LUG - a Lincolnshire LUG by default covers
much more area than a Lincoln LUG or other city based LUG. These affect
the ability of people to travel, especially if they are to bring kit.

I hope this email sparks some replies and some ideas over the future of
what is potentially a powerful ability to mold your computing lives.

I will, at some point, whilst being a long term reader of this mailing
list, but having only posted on one occasion before this email, write an
introduction of who I am, where I come from (in a politic/techincal
sense) and why I am so interested in having a powerful and usuful Lug in
lincolnshire.

So long for now....