[Lincs] Archive is private from now on!

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 14 11:20:07 BST 2004

On 2004-09-13 14:00:22 +0100 Marc Mc Guinness <marc at mcguinness.de>
wrote:

> It was my intention not to publicise the senders mail address to the
> web.

Too late. For example:
http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:http%3A//mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/lincs/2004-August/000251.html
and other cache services exist, some of which hold messages far
longer.

> Unfortunately I only see two ways to do that:
> - make the archive private
> - strip sender address from any message

or obfuscate it, which is what happened before.

> I find it more important to protect our mailing list members privacy
> and
> prevent spam, than make it appear in web searches and catalogues.

Those who want to participate without releasing their contact details
may do so anonymously or via an alias service already, assuming the
list moderators permit their posts. Closing the archive gives a false
sense of privacy: when I joined, it looked like anyone may join,
including a list-web robot. (That type of robot has been noticed
joining LUG lists in the past.)

It also makes the LUG look like a "private garden" with high fences to
hide you from outsiders. No-one can see what they're stepping into
before joining. You seem a friendly bunch, so you shouldn't be ashamed
of advertising yourselves.

> If I notice an interest in making our mailing list available for
> public
> search engines I'll change that setting immediately.

Check your webserver logs and see how many search engine robots visit
you.

> I've changed the reply-to setting and I hope it works.

Not at the time of the email that I'm replying to.

Best wishes,
  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep