[Lincs] Archive is private from now on!

Marc Mc Guinness marc at mcguinness.de
Mon Sep 13 15:02:09 BST 2004

Hi people!

MJ Ray wrote the following on 13.09.2004 15:21:
> On 2004-09-13 12:07:45 +0100 Marc Mc Guinness <marc at mcguinness.de> wrote:
>
>> To prevent automated mail address collectors from getting mailing list
>> members mail addresses I changed the archive accessibility from public
>> to private. You need to log in with your email address and your
>> password from now on.
>
> Please post an alternative suitably-munged public archive, else the
> people of Lincolnshire will not be able to tell what a useful email list
> their LUG has and it won't appear on web searches, library catalogues
> and so on. In general, LUGs don't have reliable amounts of time to
> summarise all list discussion to articles on their main site and what
> one person thinks insignificant may be the vital hint a new member needs.

It was my intention not to publicise the senders mail address to the
web. Unfortunately I only see two ways to do that:
- make the archive private
- strip sender address from any message

I find it more important to protect our mailing list members privacy and
  prevent spam, than make it appear in web searches and catalogues.

The archive is still available on the net, but not for non-registered
people. I think that's a small price we have to pay.

If I notice an interest in making our mailing list available for public
search engines I'll change that setting immediately.

> While you're fiddling with the list, can you remove the reply-to
> setting, please? The list already has List-Post headers, which allow a
> well-behaved mail client to default to list-replies, if that is its
> user's policy. I'm rather unhappy that this list makes it unnecessarily
> hard to reply to the author only, which was what I intended to do on
> Saturday and failed. Fortunately, it wasn't that sensitive an email.

I've changed the reply-to setting and I hope it works.

Marc