[Lincs] Archive is private from now on!

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Sep 15 08:48:39 BST 2004

On 2004-09-15 06:10:45 +0100 Andy Davidson <andyd at lug.org.uk> wrote:

> http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

I've demolished that Hill piece elsewhere before. In short:
1. RFC 2822 obsoletes 822 and does not contain that mistake;
2. List posts being sent only to list (as List-Post clients can)
satisfies minimal bandwidth too;
3. List-Post also adds the ability to reply only to list, without
removing the ability to reply only to author (without hand-editing);
4. Reply-To munging simply does break reasonable mailers: Hill seems
to think mail clients need "reply", "reply to From", "reply to all"
and "reply to list" which is unreasonable;
5. Reply-To munging reduces choice;
not the "reply to From" that Hill claims;
7. List-Post also satisfies least total work, with a supportive mail
client;
8. People are responsible for their own mistakes, but that's no excuse
to try to trick them;
9. It removes something, the norm of replying privately with sensitive
answers;
10. It isn't what this person wants and I don't arrogantly assume to
speak for others.

If the list software allows reply-to munging to be a user option, that
may help. If mail clients were fixed to support List-Post and friends
(RFC 2369), then reply-to policy could be set at the mail client and
that would magically fix all lists, not just Lincs LUG. I've patched
my mail client and sent the patch upstream. Some major ones like mutt
still don't support List-Post. How about yours?

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep