[Lincs] The Joy of X: or how I installed Knoppix in 30 mins

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 20 10:29:37 BST 2004

On 20 Sep 2004, at 10:17, <Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk> wrote:

> Personally I've never had any stability problems with Reiser32 and
> find it is faster and has more stable than ext2 -

Faster ?  You can get the journalling stuff using ext3 which makes ext2
'behave' faster.

More stable ?  Reiser is the only filesystem I have ever lost data to,
and I know other people who can say that.

But you pays your money, you takes your choice - that's what backups
are for. ;-)

> anyway since when did "feature" mean "oh, I'll override your
> installation choices with what I think is more appropriate"?? That is
> almost "micro$oft-esque" in it's treatment of the user.

I did intend to say it in a rather tongue in cheek fashion.

Knoppix is *supposed* make the right choices for you - that's why
you're using Knoppix to set your system up.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.fotoserve.com/