[Lincs] The future? [was: The online future?]

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 18:24:35 BST 2005

Dave Rice wrote:

> anyway......discuss?

I'd just like to make a suggestion (I actually made it a long time ago
but it seems more appropriate now).

Lincs LUG seems to be struggling (our last meeting was nearly a year ago
now) and I think (as many people have already mentioned) it's because of
the size of the county. I'm moving to University in Birmingham in a
month so I'll only be in Lincolnshire a few months of the year, but for
those who aren't cowardly jumping ship and posing as a brummy, I have an
idea.

Why doesn't the group split in half, probably into North Lincolnshire
and South Lincolnshire? If people have to travel less distance I think
they're more likely to arrange meetings and meet more often. The
national LUG community is broad and some may wish to be part of both
groups, but at least people will have more local, regular meetings.

I may be wrong about this, it might be a bad idea splitting a group of a
relatively small size, but I think it might work. Perhaps it would be
worth trying it out, having a North Lincolnshire meeting and a South
Lincolnshire meeting on September 11th to mark the annivesary of the
first meeting (this might be too soon to organise).

Some people will find it tricky to decide which meeting to go as there
is a high concentration of members in the centre of the county and many
may be reluctant to split the group completely, but even a North and
South meeting of the same group might help things along a little.

Just a thought.

Ben

--
Ben "tola" Francis