[Lincs] Let's do something (was: Ubuntu CDs)

MD barodato at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:54:08 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:35:29 +0000, Ben Francis <lists at hippygeek.co.uk> wrote:
> Marc McGuinness wrote:
>
> >  What are your opinions about an install party? It would require a
> > good and stable power supply...
>
> Sounds like fun. An Broadband Internet connection would be nice too but
> I guess that's too much to ask.

Yes. Broadband is good. I have an uncapped 1Mb line (well I say
uncapped, but they'll cut me down to 128k if I dnld more than 50GB in
a month. Grr).

An installfest would be useful, though. I have felt my linux knowledge
ebbing away as I administered M$ machines over the last 6 months.
This, coupled with my main linux box's HDD having died and my laptop's
linux support being less than satisfactory means that I could do with
some Real Life(TM) linux tech support. :)

> > b) Over the last couple of month I had to manually remove several
> > advertising posts from the database... We need PHP code to check the
> > user posts on http://www.lincs.lug.org.uk/add_profile.php and on
> > http://www.lincs.lug.org.uk/Contribute.php

How exactly would this be done? Theres no real foolproof way to
prevent abuse of the profiles without having some sort of a
username/password deal.

> > c) We have to let users modify their profiles and locations. Any
> > suggestions?

I agree with Mr Francis; a wiki-type structure would probably be a
good way to go. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of spammers
and/or malicious posters.

> > Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk wrote the following on 18.03.2005 13:57:
> >
> >> Ubuntu (unashamedly my favourite
> >> distro ever)
> >
> mmm, Ubuntu. A review of Hoary Hedgehog would be interesting.

Hoary Hedgehog? What are these developers on? I don't know about
linux, but you know what they say aboot BSD: "There are two things to
have come out of Berkeley: BSD and LSD. This is not believed to be
coincidence." :)

> >> As the LLUG mailing list has been so quiet later I thought it may be a
> >> good idea for everyone who is still receiving mails from the LLUG list
> >> and who are still interested in the LUG to reply back stating so - just
> >> a head count.
> >
> Not sure if that really works to be honest, people are interested when
> interesting things are going on and interesting things generally only
> happen when people are interested in the group. I tend to direct my
> emails to the other three LUG lists I read because they're more active.
> I once heard a similar story about a chicken and an egg, or the number
> 22 or something... So I guess rather than "Who's interested in doing
> something" we should be going for "I'm doing this, feel free to join in".
>
> But anyway, I'm here and interested in what people have to say. *gives a
> wave*

I'm here. Count my head.

<SNIP>

> >> Talking of meetings... lets arrange one! Lincoln? Boston? Somewhere in
> >> between?
> >>
> I'm game for anything that's not to far North, my car doesn't like going
> North.

Bloody southerners. :)

Actually, I'm not too keen on going much further north than Boston.
I'm told there are dragons there that breathe fire and force you to
accept misleading EULAs, and cause kittens to cry by making them watch
upsetting films about the great depression.

I could be wrong, though.

Apologies for the silliness of this message, but it is Friday, and its
been one of those weeks. :)

--
Thanks,
-Matt Dancer <barodato at gmail dot com>