[Lincs] Let's do something

iain baker iain.dbaker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 23:11:55 GMT 2005

MD wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:35:29 +0000, Ben Francis <lists at hippygeek.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Marc McGuinness wrote:
>>

>>> What are your opinions about an install party? It would require a
>>>good and stable power supply...
>>
>>Sounds like fun. An Broadband Internet connection would be nice too but
>>I guess that's too much to ask.
>

> Yes. Broadband is good. I have an uncapped 1Mb line (well I say
> uncapped, but they'll cut me down to 128k if I dnld more than 50GB in
> a month. Grr).
>
> An installfest would be useful, though. I have felt my linux knowledge
> ebbing away as I administered M$ machines over the last 6 months.
> This, coupled with my main linux box's HDD having died and my laptop's
> linux support being less than satisfactory means that I could do with
> some Real Life(TM) linux tech support. :)
>

>>>b) Over the last couple of month I had to manually remove several
>>>advertising posts from the database... We need PHP code to check the
>>>user posts on http://www.lincs.lug.org.uk/add_profile.php and on
>>>http://www.lincs.lug.org.uk/Contribute.php
>

> How exactly would this be done? Theres no real foolproof way to
> prevent abuse of the profiles without having some sort of a
> username/password deal.
>

>>>c) We have to let users modify their profiles and locations. Any
>>>suggestions?
>

> I agree with Mr Francis; a wiki-type structure would probably be a
> good way to go. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of spammers
> and/or malicious posters.

i may be being naive, in which case feel free to throw a kipper at me,
but how easy would that be to set up?

(comment removed due to lack of point)

>>mmm, Ubuntu. A review of Hoary Hedgehog would be interesting.
>

> Hoary Hedgehog? What are these developers on? I don't know about
> linux, but you know what they say aboot BSD: "There are two things to
> have come out of Berkeley: BSD and LSD. This is not believed to be
> coincidence." :)

t'is a good point well made...

>>Not sure if that really works to be honest, people are interested when
>>interesting things are going on and interesting things generally only
>>happen when people are interested in the group. I tend to direct my
>>emails to the other three LUG lists I read because they're more active.
>>I once heard a similar story about a chicken and an egg, or the number
>>22 or something... So I guess rather than "Who's interested in doing
>>something" we should be going for "I'm doing this, feel free to join in".
>>
>>But anyway, I'm here and interested in what people have to say. *gives a
>>wave*
>

> I'm here. Count my head.

*Jumps up and down waving like an idiot*
COUNT ME COUNT ME
*stops jumping and waving but still looks an idiot*

> <SNIP>

>>I'm game for anything that's not to far North, my car doesn't like going
>>North.

i am still trying to work on a place just south of Lincoln City Centre,
but if anyone else wants to suggest a place feel free

> Bloody southerners. :)
>
> Actually, I'm not too keen on going much further north than Boston.
> I'm told there are dragons there that breathe fire and force you to
> accept misleading EULAs, and cause kittens to cry by making them watch
> upsetting films about the great depression.

its a common mistake but actually the dragons be further south, in that
far distant land known as yeurrup... or thats what i heard... however
the Kitten thing is true... many a weekend has been spent gaffa taping
kittens to TV screens so they cant avoid the terror

> I could be wrong, though.

as i just said... you are!! don't you pay any attention?

> Apologies for the silliness of this message, but it is Friday, and its
> been one of those weeks. :)

Apology rejected, now go tie your shoes up and stop eating chocolates,
you'll ruin your appetite