[Lincs] Reply

Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk
Tue Mar 22 21:23:12 GMT 2005

Typical...

I spend 2 days at home without a net connection in sight and miss out on
all your replies! :-)

Right, quite a bit to reply to, so here we go!

>mmm, Ubuntu. A review of Hoary Hedgehog would be interesting

Just upgraded (using apt-get) my laptop Ubuntu install to Hoary, I'll be
posting my Ubuntu/Knoppix comparison review (based on Ubuntu Warty and
Knoppix 3.7) later today.

>A Debian Grimoire http://deb.riseup.net/

Mana from heaven!

>the LLUG web site should go in the direction of a Wiki

We all love Wiki's! I haven't had a look at the new site yet 'cause I
keep getting 404 errors when trying to access the site. If you want any
help, coding, design, whatever, give me an email.

>Thunderbird just automagically took the "(was: Ubuntu CDs)"

And replaced it with...? ;-)

>[llug meetings] Actually, I'm not too keen on going much further north
than Boston.

Transport for myself is a problem, being without a car means it's either
walking distance or someone has to feel sorry for me and give me a lift.

>creating a few additional site logos for special events

I could knock some out for ya... watcha want?

>[Scunthorpe LUG] maybe at somepoint in the future we can have an
inter-lug meeting for presentations

Excellent idea, how about trying to orgainise a meeting with the
Nottingham LUG as well, that's reasonablly close for those LLUG members
living in/near Boston/Lincoln.

[LLUG Distro Stuff]

>Just give me an idea of what you want on it, and I will see what I can
do.

Comments on this but,

We can either build our own (never tried it - but I presume we could use
one of Chris's boot disks as a base - this would mean that the user
would have to compile their Linux installation on their machine, then
add their apps, etc...)

Or we could take another distro as a base (Debian perhaps) and modify
the user interface, packages, etc..

[also what are peoples ideas on GUI's? do we want Gnome/KDE or do we
want to go for something a little less mainstream, like ratpoison or PMW
or Flux box etc.??]

I prefer GNOME in day to day use... I'm a pretty recent convert to GNOME
but it works for me, I don't mind Fluxbox either... the GUI depends on
what sort of distro we want to produce. Not trolling here but IMHO KDE
is just too cluttered) Fluxbox and other lightweight GUI's work well.

[Distro Apps]

GUI: GNOME
Office App  - Ooo (Ooo 2 is out very soon... nice)
Web browser - Mozilla Firefox
Email - Thunderbird -
Chat package - Don't use them...
DVD/Media: Xine