[Lincs] LLinux

Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk Grahame.Mulliss at ulh.nhs.uk
Wed Mar 23 10:26:02 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've added some information concerning our LUG distro project/idea to
the Wiki. I also came across the following post which describes a way to
create bootable live cds from Debian...

Creating a LLUG themed distro as a Live CD for use at meets or just to
promote the LUG seems an easier route than creating a distro from
scratch.

Who is interested in helping out? Anyone out there who could create a
custom icon/wallpaper scheme?

(snip) in the Debian distro, there is a set of scripts in a package
called "bootcd" that automates the creation of a bootable live CD.

The scripts basically copy the installed system to a working directory,
compress the directory, and generate a compressed ISO (using the
Rockridge compressed filesystem extensions in the Linux kernel). I've
personally gotten a 1.6GB system onto a 700MB CD in this way. The
scripts even handle creating ram disks to hold /dev, /var, /etc, /tmp,
/root, and /home. You can tweak what is and isn't included on the CD and
what is and isn't loaded into the ram disks through the config file.

Once the script finished creating the ISO, it automatically cleans up
after itself by removing the working and compressed directories. By
default it removes the ISO as well if it is configured to immediately
burn a CD. I turned this off in the config file so I can burn multiple
copies.

(snip) since I'm doing this in Debian, configuring exactly what packages
I want on the CD is simple with apt-get. Do a very simple install,
"apt-get install" the software you want, "apt-get remove" the software
you don't, and then start making ISOs.

Descriptions, sources, and packages (for Debian) can be found at
http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bootcd.html
http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/bootcd.html

Grahame