[Lincs] Ubuntu, Debian, Horde, Moodle, Easy Moblog, PHPiCalendar

Pete Hunt pete at ninjafriendly.com
Thu Mar 24 21:11:53 GMT 2005

Ben Francis wrote:

> We've already put in for a "backup" ADSL line, I think from Zen.

Mind telling me how much?  Netlinc costs us about £4K/yr.  I'm willing
to pay 6-7K for broadband and a reliable mail service.

> I've been looking at running a mail server internally too, hence my
> interest in horde.I've also recently found the hula project
> (*www.hulaproject.org)* - a Novell product open sourced recently. It's
> essentially an exchange replacement and does a mail server, calendar
> server and address book with a web interface and all the open standards
> you could hope for! It's very new but apparently scales excellently.

Had a quick look, will investigate further.

  > Yes! Well actually at the college I work at they don't have Netlinc, but
> my old school (where I did my  A Levels) had Netlinc and last I heard
> they were still using a great deal of emails. At first we thought it was
> just people making excuses - "I emailed my homework but it didn't get
> here" - but then we realised it was a real problem.

Yeah, my initial reaction was "Yeah, right - of course you emailed it".
  But then reliable, clueful people who know how to configure their
mailservers / clients were asking why I hadn't replied.

> I also find the web filters serve no useful purpose except to cause
> irritation. They do a bad job of blocking explicit material and a great
> job of blocking useful material!

I manage my own proxy / filters inhouse (same product but heavily
tweaked) so not too much of a problem.  Except for pictures of zebras
and emperor penguins (only emperor penguins, I've checked with other
types) for some reason - it's such a random thing that I've left it like
that until I work out what's causing it.

> Perhaps we should have a "social" mailing list for off topic
> conversations...

Yeah, or a custom header: X-OffTopic :)