[Lincs] Ubuntu, Debian, Horde, Moodle, Easy Moblog, PHPiCalendar

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 19:43:59 GMT 2005

Pete Hunt wrote:

> www.purplecloud.net -- small & pretty good.

I've just had a look, very interesting selection of services!

> And if you're waiting for Netlinc to pull their
>
>> finger out you're in for a long long wait :P We have the same problem
>> with EMBC :)
>

> Yeah, preaching to the choir here.
>
> <seriously offtopic follows>
>
> Purplecloud.net was (while ago) willing to provide secure webmail,
> 10GB diskspace, 5GB monthly transfer and as many email accounts as you
> like for £100 a year.  I've considered pointing webmail.schooladdress
> to their servers.

We've already put in for a "backup" ADSL line, I think from Zen. The
first step to leaving EMBC! If we do though, I'll miss the 2meg upload
speed, that's something you don't get from ADSL and at the moment I'm
running a Debian web server on it for in-house hosting so it's a tough one.

I've been looking at running a mail server internally too, hence my
interest in horde. I've also recently found the hula project
(*www.hulaproject.org)* - a Novell product open sourced recently. It's
essentially an exchange replacement and does a mail server, calendar
server and address book with a web interface and all the open standards
you could hope for! It's very new but apparently scales excellently.

> We're thinking of leaving the EMBC in the very near future - all we
> wanted was cheap broadband and we can get that elsewhere now.
> Claranet has a nice robust setup that I'm currently looking at.

Yes, I do feel that EMBC is a bit of a rip off.

> BTW, does Netlinc lose your mail? A significant proportion of ours (5%
> or so) disappears - doesn't bounce, not blocked by filters, not queued
> on a server.  Just enters Netlinc and vanishes.

Yes! Well actually at the college I work at they don't have Netlinc, but
my old school (where I did my  A Levels) had Netlinc and last I heard
they were still using a great deal of emails. At first we thought it was
just people making excuses - "I emailed my homework but it didn't get
here" - but then we realised it was a real problem.

I also find the web filters serve no useful purpose except to cause
irritation. They do a bad job of blocking explicit material and a great
job of blocking useful material!

> </offtopic>

Not *that* off topic :p

Perhaps we should have a "social" mailing list for off topic
conversations...

--
Ben "tola" Francis            http://hippygeek.co.uk