[Lincs] Lincs LUG: relaunch?

Rebecca Newborough bobobex at bobobex.org
Thu Aug 18 01:23:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Dave Rice <dave at ricey.co.uk> wrote:
> Becky, Hi,
> a whole new LUG? You may be right that the whole LUG needs a 'reboot' if you
> will.
> But, please, and I mean this in the nicest way, do anything the correct way.
> This will avoid putting any existing members' 'noses' out of joint.
> Just pushing ahead with great enthusiasm is wholly admirable, but just
> 'taking over' without consulting others is not the way to go about bringing
> your, undoubtedly great, ideas to fruition.
> As we know FOSS is all about community and it's that community that is the
> most important thing.
> Any previous administration of Lincs LUG may have been a little on the quiet
> side, but then this is a unique LUG because of it's size and the members'
> real world jobs/lives etc.
> As for the web side of things, thanks for registering the names on our
> behalf but as for the VPS, the LUG already has access to a VPS. Given for
> free for our use. Do we need another?
> Again, I'm more than happy to re-vitalise/reboot this great group of people,
> but please make sure you don't step on any toes ;-)
> Many thanks,
> Dave

Hi Dave

Equally, I mean this in the nicest possible way that yes, you are
completely correct about the importance of FOSS and how it is about
the community, but for the last few years there has been no real
community within the existing LLUG or any importance given to it, and
this is what I would like to see changed.  I am doing this openly on
the mailing list and anybody is welcome to contribute their
input/feedback on how they want their LUG run.

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes or put anyone's noses out of
joint.  Existing members and administrators have had ample opportunity
within the last 2+ years to drive this LUG forward positively.  I am
not trying to take over the existing LLUG, as to all intents and
purposes there is no existing LLUG - it is dead and has been for a
long while.  I am proposing to start a new and revigorated Lincs LUG.
The VPS issue is a mere technicality at the moment which can be
discussed further at our first meeting :-)

The responses that I have had today from existing members of LLUG, and
from members of neighbouring LUGs have been both positive and
enthusiastic for change.  Lincolnshire is unique in that it is one of
the largest rural counties but then again, other rural LUGs such as
Hampshire, continue to thrive despite their rurality.  I understand
that you may have jobs that take you out of the area (by your own
admission you are in the States for 3 months!), however that is not
really an excuse and would be more of a reason to hand the reins over
to someone who is more permanently based in Lincolnshire and who is
willingly offering to take the LUG forward.

All I am asking is that the existing LLUG administration steps down
considerately. Members of every LUG come and go and LLUG is no
different. When somebody leaves or disengages from the LUG, in whole
or in part, we should ask that they do so in a way that minimises
disruption to the LUG. This means they should tell people they are
leaving and take the proper steps to ensure that others can pick up
where they left off.  This has not been done in the case of the
existing LLUG as I am sure that others from the mailing list will
testify.

Regards

Becky